Temple Emanuel’s High Holy Day 2020 Album
Featuring Cantor Lizzie Weiss and the Professional High Holy Days Choir
Executive Produced by Temple Emanuel of Beverly Hills. Produced by Kosher Style Records and PieTownSound.
Groove With Us
We believe that music is the heart of experiential prayer. Using both traditional melodies and new ones, our clergy rely on the beautiful harmonies of music to help bring ancient liturgy to life. Listen to the moving voices and melodies stemming from the heart of our congregation and SING, SWAY, and FEEL the rhythm!
Come Sing with Us! Our choirs are low-key and light-hearted, so don’t be shy! Learn more about our choirs, and come unleash the musician in you.
Temple Emanuel Intergenerational Choir
Join our fantastic intergenerational group of singers, and participate in dynamic, cutting-edge Jewish music programming, commissions, and premiers of new Jewish choral works, and prayers, and songs. We sing and perform during High Holy Day Family Services, festival services, concerts, and special events during the year. For rehearsal schedule, call Cantor Weiss.
Temple Emanuel Soul Singers
Our Soul Singers are a very friendly crew of 3rd-7th grade religious school students who blend music, Judaism, community, and spirituality together in a fantastic mix of learning and performing. New singers feel welcome as soon as they join and will learn to read music, sing in varied languages, and learn songs from many genres, including Broadway tunes, traditional songs, and folk music from around the world. Our Shabbat Spark Service gets its energy from our spirited Soul Singers! Email Cantor Weiss at CantorWeiss@tebh.org to learn more about how your child can join.
Temple Emanuel Junior Cantors
With Soul Singer experience under your belt, it’s time to lead our community in prayer and song! Talented and motivated post-B’nai Mitzvah students are asked or audition to be a part of the Temple Emanuel Junior Cantors. There’s no better preparation and experience for a passionate singer than leading our congregation in High Holy Days, Shabbat, and Festival Services throughout the year. For more information, please email Cantor Weiss at CantorWeiss@tebh.org.
Today’s Jewish Voices
We are thrilled to bring you the most exciting nationally recognized Jewish voices as we host our Musical Artist Series. Here’s what’s in store for 2020–2021!
Simchat Torah with Mostly Kosher
Friday, October 9, 6:15 pm, On Facebook and YouTube
The renowned klezmer band Mostly Kosher is back to perform at Temple Emanuel for yet another year! This group of seven talented musicians preserves the rich Yiddish culture while fusing contemporary jazz, Latin, rock, hip-hop, and folk. Join us virtually and dance the night away in your living room! To learn more, visit their website www.MostlyKosher.com.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Shabbat Unplugged
Friday, January 15, 6:15 pm, 300 N Clark Drive
As we celebrate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., join our Scholar-in-Residence Ilana Kaufman as she details an increasingly diverse Jewish communal future and what it means for communities like ours. With an inspiring sermon on Friday night and a text study on Saturday morning, Ms. Kaufman will root our year of work in Jewish tradition. Ilana Kaufman is the founder of the Jews of Color Field Building Initiative.
Celebrate Purim on Shabbat
For Kids, Families, and Everyone:
Saturday, February 26, 5:30 pm, 300 N Clark Drive
We’re celebrating Purim on Shabbat this year. Come early for games, crafts and delicious Hamantaschen. Stay for services and the shpiel!
For the Grown-Ups:
Friday, February 26, 7:30 pm, 300 N Clark Drive
After the wildly successful musically themed shpiels featuring the music from Hamilton, Queen and Bruno Mars, we are even more excited to surprise you with this year’s event! A Purim Shpiel with cocktails and holiday treats, this will be a fun and fresh way to celebrate the holiday!
Amplify Our Sound
Help elevate our community’s musical programming by supporting the uplifting and powerful voices of our congregants, and the inspiring, heartfelt music which Cantor Weiss brings into our lives.
Give in honor of your favorite Soul Singer or Intergenerational Choir member, in appreciation of Cantor Weiss, or in memory of a loved one. With your generosity, together we can make this temple the most incredibly soulful and expressive space in Los Angeles. Share your appreciation of our musical life by donating to any of the musical endeavors listed below.
What We Need
Partner with us by contributing to one or more of these musical necessities:
- Shabbat Musicians (Shabbat Services, Concerts, B’nai Mitzvah)
- Musical Artist Series (Highlighting today’s newest and most talented Jewish voices)
- Junior Cantors, Intergenerational Choir, Soul Singers (Sheet music, rehearsal accompanist, concert costs)
- Instrument Upkeep (Steinways, Clavinovas)
- TEBH Musical Library (Jewish music collections & compendiums, choir binders, copies of music)
- Instruments for Children (Guitars for song leading, drums, percussions)
- Sound System Upgrades (For Corwin Family Sanctuary)
- Live Stream System (Year-round broadcasting of our services via the Internet)
What You Get
Your donation is highly appreciated. As a token of our gratitude, donations at the amounts listed below receive the following perks:
- $36 FAN: Name plate in TEBH Music Library Book.
- $100 GROUPIE: Cantor Weiss’s voice on your outgoing cell phone answering machine.
- $500 DEVOTEE: Recording of Cantor Weiss singing a song of your choice or personalizing a song as a gift for someone or alternate choice of perks listed above.
- $1,000 SHOWRUNNER: Private prayers/song/ritual melody lesson (Shabbat, aliyah, shma, etc.) or alternate choice of perks above.
- $5,000 BACKSTAGE PASS: Private sing-along with a group of members & members’ friends or alternate choice of perks above.
- $18,000 MUSIC AMBASSADOR: Private concert for you and your friends or alternate choice of perks above.
- $36,000 PRODUCER: Online and print credit for live streaming of all musical events and alternate choice of perks above.
- $180,000 EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: Special “meet and greet” dinner with Clergy and Musical Series Artist. Private Producer Oneg before the service or concert. Reserved seats at Musical Artist Series events or alternate choice of perks above.
- $360,000 EXECUTIVE PRODUCER MUSIC SERIES: Series will carry donor’s name. Sponsor will be able to host a salon musical evening at a location of their choice with Rabbi Jonathan Aaron and Cantor Lizzie Weiss. Sponsor will also receive all benefits listed above.
A Round Of Applause For Cantor Weiss’s Contributions
- Developed 2015/16 and 2016/17 Music Series
- Founded Soul Singers
- Planned 2015 Hanukkah Bash with A Capella group 613
- Produced Songs of Peace Benefit Concert
- Created B’nai Mitzvah Revolution Programming and New Committee
- Re-imagined of Pastoral Care at TEBH (including New Emanuel Carers)
- Sang and Produced High Holy Days 2015-2016
- Integrated existing Intergenerational Choir into Yearly Services and Concerts
- Created New B’nai Mitzvah Bootcamp Curriculum
- Originated Teen Election Summit
- Traveled with Teen Civic Leadership Counsel to Washington D.C for L’taken
- Participated in ACC (American Conference of Cantors) National Conference (Concert Participant)
- Planned URJ Newman/Six Points and NFTY benefit (January 2017)
- Officiated Funerals, Weddings, B’nai Mitzvah, Baby Namings
A Thank You From Cantor Weiss
As cantor of Temple Emanuel of Beverly Hills, I live the most meaningful life I can imagine – a life dedicated to helping others connect to their spirituality through music and torah. There is no other career where I could use my heart, soul, body, and mind so fully. I am privileged to walk alongside people through the most joyful and painful moments of life – weddings and funerals, baby dedications and illnesses – and bring them solace and joy through song and sound. As your cantor, I am able to help people make sense of traditional texts and song, and to both pass on tradition and invent new meaning through music. Thank you for partnering with me to enrich our musical experience.
♬ Cantor Lizzie Weiss ♬
Thank You From Us
We believe in the power of love and community, and we are deeply grateful for any amount you are able to contribute to help us reach our goals. Thank you for helping us sing the world alive!