Temple Emanuel of Beverly Hills strives to connect with the larger Jewish community and engage with the broader world. Tikkun Olam is a centerpiece of what we do at Temple Emanuel and a pillar value held by our congregation.
Here are some of the ways we as a temple help make a difference in the community.
- Our Na’aseh V’Nishmah social justice group works towards raising awareness and funds for global humanitarian projects in critical areas, supporting refugee families, alleviating poverty, improving healthcare, and much more. To learn about our partnership organizations – ONE LA-IAF, Imagine LA, Tiyya, Jewish World Watch, and The MAJOR Fund, visit tebh.org/SocialJustice.
- On #GivingTuesday, when many organizations ask to donate directly to them, we use the day as an opportunity to bolster our support for our partnership organizations listed above.
- During the High Holy Days this year, our congregation donated 5,000 pounds of non-perishable foods to SOVA’s food pantry, and collected 50,000 diapers for Tiyya, dubbed by the organization as “the largest donation ever received.”
- Temple congregants started a Team Emanuel 5K group that supports local Jewish organizations through their 5K Fun Runs. In December we helped support the Westside JCC, and in March we are lacing up for the Matzo Ball Run in support of Harkham Hillel Hebrew Academy and Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles.
- During Purim, our Mishloach Manot program each year supports a community partner like last year’s MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger. This year we are working with Beit T’Shuvah’s new initiative Baked T’Shuvah, where with Temple Emanuel’s support will be providing sandwiches for the homeless, made out of their delicious freshly baked challah. Additionally during Purim, our Religious School students at Temple Emanuel surprise our neighbors at the Beverly Hills Carmel Assisted Living Community with Mishloach Manot gifts.
As we celebrate Temple Emanuel’s 80th year, let us continue our proud tradition of Tikkun Olam with the Los Angeles community and regions around the world.